Tuesday, August 13, 2013

YSA Conference-Part II!

Alright here is the Saturday Part of the Conference!

 Bekah and I got up and got ready and headed back to the stake center for the morning classes from Brad Wilcox (who was Robby's mission president, and we grew up listening to talks on tape by him!!) and Sheri Dew (the President & CEO of Deseret Book). Brother Wilcox was up first. He talked a lot about how as LDS people we might feel like we are missing things because we have "limitations" and that we don't have as much experience that others may have. How you have to learn how to give and take and you don't want to be the person who just takes. My favorite quote from his talk was "We take the sacrament week after week and weakness after weakness and there is someone and something in place to catch us when we fall" His talk was great. He talked about when you start to feel like you don't get to experience as much stuff as all of your non-LDS friends just remember that when they smoke, or have sex, or drink or do whatever they're doing, they aren't doing it to feel better, they're doing it to feel something. We already have that "something" that they're missing. 

Then Sheri Dew spoke. I think I learned a lot during her talk. She talked about knowing who we are, who the Savior is, how we can receive personal revelation and learning what is in the Temple. Off the bat she said something that struck me "The Lord will not force us to learn, we authorize learning by asking and showing up to places like Church and the Temple and actually being there in mind, body and Spirit" She said so many profound things. "The Lord wouldn't hang on to those Spirits who He knew He couldn't count on, or those that He knew couldn't hang on" The Lord knew that we as the Latter Day generation would be tough and that the world would be out of control, so He needed those people that He KNEW He could count on. Which is so interesting to me, that I am one of those that He trusts with the gospel. My favorite quote that she gave was: 
"When you enter the Temple, you leave the world of make believe"

After the broadcast (yes, unfortunately they weren't actually in Orlando, but still!) They had a series of workshops that you could pick from and go to. Bekah and I decided to go listen to President Halverson who is the Orlando Temple President.  He, obviously, talked about the Temple. Signs and Symbols outside and inside the temple. The main thing I got out of his talk was when he showed this picture (well a picture of just the sign)
These signs are outside of the Oakland Temple. He said "how often to we pray and our minds are going 70 MPH, or when we go to the temple our minds are going 70 MPH, Things will start to mean something more when you slow down and focus on the Lord". That statement was so very profound to me. I absolutely LOVED his talk. It made me think of the things in my life that I need to slow down and really think about before I do them. 

After President Halverson's talk, Bekah and I headed to the Temple so we could get another session done. Oh my heck, with Pres. Halverson's words fresh in my mind, it was the BEST session I've ever done. It was amazing! Then we headed back to the Stake Center and everyone was kind of doing their own thing and we decided to go get some Twisty Treat, which if you've been to Orlando and haven't had Twisty Treat, you're totally missing out! So a group of us went and got some ice cream and then went back and they had a luau with hula dancers and a flame thrower! It was really cool! I would have gotten it on video...but my phone sucks. bad! Then there was another dance and then it was time for bed! Thankfully this one didn't go to til midnight and we were able to turn in semi early. 
Alright this is the end of Part II! Tomorrow I'll post about the Sunday activities.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the quotes! Aren't we blessed to have angel helpers who give us nuggets of truth!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...