Friday, April 26, 2013

3/30: Describe Your Relationship With Your Parents

My relationship with my parents, where do I ever begin!
 
I'll start with my mom!
Growing up I knew I could always count on my mom. She was a stay at home mom and she was always there when I needed her. Despite my sometimes...okay, all the time, melodramatic attitude! i don't know how she put up with me! She helped with homework, nursed us back to health when we were sick, took us places and bought us the things we NEEDED. To this day when I'm out shopping and I see something I want I will stop and my mother's words will come into my mind "is this a WANT or a NEED" and now most of the time I'll end up putting it back because I have enough junk already and I don't need to add to it! Something I've realized as I look back growing up is that my mom was more concerned about being my mother and not my friend. I had so many friends that would say well my mom is my best friend and I'll admit that I was a little jealous but she knew that I needed a parent and not a friend and I am SO grateful for that. My mom is my friend now it was interesting when I first finally realized that she WAS more than just my mom that she truly is my friend too. One thing I love about my mom is that a few years ago we were chatting one day and she said she wanted to go to New York and I said ummm I wan to go! The advantage of being single, right?! I had vacation time unused at work so within 2 weeks were on our way, not to New York but Nauvoo, Ill and Iowa to spend a week just getting away. This has happened I think twice, were we just pick up and go! Those trips mean so much to me to have that time to spend with JUST her and we get to bond even better as friends and mother and daughter! I also love going to the Temple with her. I know how much the temple means to her and I think that's where I get my love from. I've learned so much from watching my mom pray, to cooking, to putting on makeup to learning how to genuinly love someone and soooo much more. She has been the support and the anchor in my life and I seriously don't know what I would do without her! Love ya mom!!!
 
My dad!
My dad is a super hero to me!!! Now I'm like 75% my mother's daughter but as I've gotten older I've realized that I am a lot like my dad too. My dad works hard at whatever he does. He never says no to anyone (pretty sure this is where I got that from), if he thinks he can help someone, he does. He showed me how to work for my dollar. He was gone a lot growing up, it seems like he always had a Stake Calling and was at the stake center! He loves the gospel and it shows in how he treats people. I don't know how he does it. He works 40+ hours during the week, goes to the stake center every Tuesday for 3+ hours and then on the weekends you can find him at some sort of stake activity or helping someone or my mom around the house, NOT to mention he travels to California for work a week every 5 weeks. If there was a new Article of Faith and it talked about meetings it would fit him to a T! On Sundays he goes to at least 1 full 3 hour church block and sometimes does 2 AND then he turns around and goes to meetings. I am tired just thinking about all that he does! I get to see him maybe once and week and I miss him when I don't see him but I can't imagine being my mom!!! If you know my dad he's a quiet person, and I can remember him being extremely angry with us kids only once or twice (probably when we threw the spaghetti we were making for dinner on the ceiling-you know to make sure it was cooked properly- while my parents went out on a date!!! OOPS!) My dad makes me laugh with his corny jokes and his "_________ comes once a year bringing with it ___________ cheer". You can almost count on him saying that at any holiday and I'm actually kind of sad when he doesn't say it! My dad is the most amazing man I've ever met and the saying is true that one day I would like to find someone who treats me just like my dad does-corny jokes and sayings too! Love ya daddy!!!
 
My parents together are just the bees-knees! They together have showed me what a marriage is made of- ups and downs, depending on each other, love, romantic get aways when you can, laughter, and joy, giving tough love and sacrifice. I hope that one day the marriage I have (or hope to have!) will be like theirs! Together they're unstoppable! Thanks for all you've done for me and helping me become the woman I am today! I love you both to the moon and back!
 
Next up: List 10 things you would tell your 16 year old self. OHHH BOY! Peace and Love!

2 comments:

  1. Awe thanks for the wonderful comments. You weren't so bad as a kid! It's great to watch you becoming a wonderful adult. And heck you to sometimes go to multiple church meetings because people need your help. So proud of you! Love you girly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya your parents are pretty awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...